As I was born in 1982, I don’t remember anything about it. Thus, I thought it prudent to see what else happened that year, aside from my birth. Apparently, quite a few things went down, as Wikipedia is helpful in pointing out. The Wikipedia post mostly involves world events, if you’re curious, but I picked out a few of the more interesting ones to highlight here. At least, more interesting to my generation.
A few interesting tidbits about 1982:
- Average cost of a gallon of gas: $0.91
- Price of a US Postage Stamp: $0.20
- Average Price of a New Car: $7,983.00
- Average Price of a New House: $82,200
Here’s a list of stuff that happened in 1982:
- April 17 – Canada asserts political autonomy from the United Kingdom, thus giving us the birth of “Canada Day.”
- May 2 – The Weather Channel begins its first cable broadcast.
- June 4 – Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn is released in theaters.
- June 7 – Graceland opens to the public.
- June 11 – E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial is released in theaters.
- June 20 – I’m born
- June 21 – Prince William is born. Is eternally disappointed I beat him out of the womb.
- August 17 – The first compact discs debut.
- October 19 – John DeLorean gets arrested for selling cocaine.
- October 20 – The St. Louis Cardinals beat the Milwaukee Brewers in the World Series in Game 7.
- November 13 – The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is completed in Washington, D.C.
- November 30 – Michael Jackson releases Thriller
- December 3 – Dioxin is found in Times Beach, Missouri (just outside of St. Louis) at 300 times the “safe” level
- December 7 – The first execution by lethal injection is carried out in Texas.
- December 26 – The Times Magazine “Man of the Year” goes to its first non-human, The Computer.