The New Bedroom, Part III

The kids got in on the “fun”…

Back in December 2016, we de-wallpapered, de-carpeted, and painted one of the upstairs bedrooms, so the kids could share it with bunk beds, leaving the bedroom next door (connected by a closet) into a “play room,” of sorts.

In the intervening years, Meg would occasionally ask when she was going to get her own room, and our answer became “when you’re 10.”

Guess who’s 10 now? Good work.

We were going to do the work this Summer, but due to the present stay at home order in Missouri, we went ahead and pushed up our schedule a bit.

So…much…wallpaper…

Like the last time, we left the carpet on while we removed the wallpaper. Most of the walls only had a single layer of wallpaper, but the one behind the door had a few layers….and layers of wallpaper on top of joint compound.

Brooke was not pleased.

There had been some…”work”….done to the walls…

Overall, there were relatively large portions of the walls that didn’t need a ton of work, but the portions by the closet (and on the wall with the staircase to the attic on the other side) already had a lot of joint compound on them from the last time wallpaper was applied. Brooke thinks the latest round of wallpaper was probably put on back in the 80s. Under the wallpaper, she found a handwritten note that was difficult to read, but someone wrote their name and what looked like “198-“….so it’s hard to know for sure, but at least it seems like someone tried to fix the room, thankfully, by not just wallpapering over the existing wallpaper.

The primer went on pretty well!

After Brooke was satisfied with the cleaning of the walls, I spent a lot of the week putting up some primer. I had to go with a few coats of it to cover up the wealth of joint compound just spread all over the place, and even had some of it delivered from our local hardware store.

First coat of paint. Definitely need another coat.

The paint Brooke and Meg went with was a color that will go well in our bedroom as well as her bedroom. She originally wanted something more purple-ish, but….we don’t want purple walls in our room, so we won out. This color is called “Evergreen fog.” Granted, I’m partially color blind, but I can’t really tell where the “green” is…

I’ll save the rest for another post. The painting took a few days to finish up, and we still have carpet to pull up!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *