I’m hoping to queue up a few posts here, as we’ve been pretty busy over the past, well, few months…
First of all, as I now have the privilege of working for a college, that means I get a month off at Christmas and three months off over the Summer. Aside from the whole “much needed break” part, it also provides a substantial amount of time to get some stuff done around the house.
I should start by saying that this house is filled with wallpaper, most of which we’ll be pulling down over the next few years. In some cases, it doesn’t really look all that bad – tasteful, even. But in other cases, it’s simply got to go away. As we don’t have much experience with wallpaper, we started small, with the back entryway to the house [though, technically, we pulled down wallpaper in the bathroom first, but I’ll return to that in another post…].
Meg and Calvin actually got started with pulling down the wallpaper in the entryway a few weeks before, thus accelerating the need to do something about it. In the picture above, you can see the drywall along with some white “patching” I did to seal some cracks. I took care of this in an afternoon, as well as some patching on the ceiling above.
After it dried, we painted it with a light blue-ish color. The image above was taken without a flash, so it looks a bit deeper than it really is. However, this is a blue color we were considering putting in a few other places, especially the kitchen, so we’ll probably scale back our use of it. In the end, however, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out!
As a test run, it went pretty well. The wallpaper came down very easily, though it’ll be more challenging in other areas of the house where plaster predominates. More pictures will be on the way as we make various “upgrades” (including some of the projects we’ve already completed, of course), but next on the docket we’ll be covering the kitchen and what is to become “the music room.”